10 Ballerina Turned Actresses - Forum - Summer Glau Wiki

[ New Forum Posts · Members · Forum Rules · Search ]
Page 1 of 212»
Forum » Filmography » Other movies/shows » 10 Ballerina Turned Actresses
10 Ballerina Turned Actresses
Date: Wednesday, 11-10-05, 16:30 GMT | Message # 1

Site Admin

Awards: 1

I have collected an alphabetical list of actresses who have studied ballet before starting an acting career, including Summer Glau of course; this is an arbitrary list from actresses i know and admire for most of them. Feel free to comment the names of that list and add yours.

Notice : click an image to launch a slide show in bigger size.

1. Neve Campbell

10 Ballerina Turned Actresses - Neve Campbell
10 Ballerina Turned Actresses - Neve Campbell.

Neve Campbell studied at the National Ballet School of Canada from age 9 to 15, at which time she began her acting career in theater.
She's best know for her role as Sidney Prescott in the Scream films and for 1998 erotic thriller Wild Things.

2. Cyd Charisse

Cyd charisse started dancing lessons and ballet at the age of six and began a career in the Ballet Russe de Monte Carlo till World War II led to the break-up of the company.
She was one of the most elegant partner of Fred Astaire et Gene Kelly; her extraordinary charm was paired with a great sensibility and a womanliness that was always classy.

3. Summer Glau

Luckily for Summer Glau fans, an ankle injury stopped her career as a ballerina and Summer moved to Los Angeles in 2002 to pursue an acting carrer.
Her stunning performances as River in Firefly and as Cameron in Terminator : The Sarah Connor Chronicles have earned her the title of sci-fi queen but she was also incredibly convincing as Lindsey Forrest in Lifetime movie Deadley Honeymoon.

4. Audrey Hepburn

She started studying ballet as a child in Belgium then in London. Meanwhile she started modeling and acting then she gained instant Hollywood stardom for the lead role in Roman Holiday (1953). After that, Hepburn became one of the greatest actresses of Hollywood's Golden Age.

5. Izabella Miko

10 Ballerina Turned Actresses - Izabella Miko10 Ballerina Turned Actresses - Izabella Miko

Izabella Miko grew up in Warsaw, Poland, where she studied to be a ballerina. She was invited to New York by an American choreographer and made her american film debut in Coyote Ugly (2000). Summer Glau fans also know her for her role as Raia in The Cape (2011).

6. Sarah Jessica Parker

As a young girl, Sarah Jessica Parker trained in singing and balletParker; she later attended the School of American Ballet in New York City.
She is best known for her role in tv show/movies Sex And The City.

7. Zoe Saldana

Zoe Saldana trained at one of the most prestigious dancing schools in the Dominican Republic, where she learned ballet as well as other dance forms. Back to the United States, she began performing dance and in theater, which greatly helped her land her first big screen role as Eva, the talented and headstrong ballet dancer in the 2000 film Center Stage. She became world-wide famous for her role as Neytiri, the Na'vi princess, in James Cameron's Avatar (2009).

8. Amanda Schull

Amanda Schull learned ballet at Hawaii State Ballet then was offered a scholarship at San Francisco Ballet School; she was cast in the starring role of Jody Sawyer in the 2000 movie Center Stage, which launched her career. After various guest star spots, she could be seen in the ABC serie Pretty Little Liars.

9. Charlize Theron

Charlize Theron studied at the Joffrey Ballet School in New York, but had to cut her dancing career short due to a knee injury at the age of 19.
After appearing in a few notable films, she won an Academy Award for Best Actress for her role as the serial killer in Monster (2003). She became one of the ten most paid actress in Hollywood with films like The Italian Job (2003) or Hancock (2008).

10. Mia Wasikowska

Mia Wasikowska trained as a ballerina from the age of nine to fourteen, with hopes of going professional. However, her passion for ballet had waned due to the increasing pressure to achieve physical perfection.
Her early work as an actress includes HBO's acclaimed weekly drama In Treatment, but she becames famous for her role as Alice in Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland (2008).

Most elements from the biography of the actresses comes from Wikipedia.

You can also find me on Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr or Youtube

Date: Wednesday, 11-10-05, 21:14 GMT | Message # 2

Friends

Awards: 0

11. Amy Acker

Amy Acker in Angel 3.13 Waiting in the Wings - Behind the Scenes

Known for "Angel" and "Dollhouse" among others.

Born and raised in Dallas, Texas.
She studied ballet, modern dance and jazz dance for 13 years before moving onto acting. She underwent knee surgery while in high school, ending her ballet career, and she began to study acting in her sophomore year.

12. Andrea Parker

Known from "The Pretender"

Parker is a native Californian. She began ballet study at age 6, trained with youth programs around the country and, at age 15, joined the San Francisco Ballet. After three years of touring, she switched to contemporary dance and began studying acting while working as a bartender. Shortly thereafter, she landed her first speaking part on an episode of "Seinfeld" (1990). Parker likes to ride horses, spend time with family and friends and drive hot wheels.

Thats a window bird.

Message edited by Joe73 - Wednesday, 11-10-05, 21:32

Date: Wednesday, 11-10-05, 21:42 GMT | Message # 3

Site Admin

Thanks for the additions Joe73!

I realised i forgot Andrea Parker after i made the list but thought i would add her later because '10 Ballerina...' sounds better than '11 Ballerina...' biggrin

But i completely forgot Amy Acker; Fred & Wesley's scene in Summer Glau's episode of Angel was very funny.

Side note : i really wonder how such tall girls as Charlize Theron or Andrea Parker could do ballet wacko

Date: Wednesday, 11-10-05, 22:54 GMT | Message # 4

Friends

Great work guys, many thanks smile !

" It's just an object. It doesn't mean what you think... "

" Pain ... It is the healing, purifying scalpel of our souls " - Warhammer 40000 universe.

Date: Wednesday, 11-10-05, 23:02 GMT | Message # 5

Site Admin

Quote (Granite)
Great work guys, many thanks smile !

Thanks Granite!
Doing this article required a lot of work indeed, i'm glad you appreciate my and Joe73's work. The Summer Glau has already proven in the past that it's not just an echo chamber for other sites news but that it can be creative.
Sections like 'Comment that picture of Summer Glau!' are available to any member, feel free to upload a picture that you want to highlight.

Date: Thursday, 11-10-06, 15:17 GMT | Message # 6

Site Admin

Another ballerina from the past...

Moira Shearer

The scottish read-head learned ballet in Rhodesia in 1931 before joining the Sadler's Wells Ballet School in London in 1936.
She came to international attention for her first film role as Victoria Page in the Powell & Pressburger ballet-themed film The Red Shoes (1948). Even her hair matched the titular footwear, and the role and film were so powerful that although she went on to star in other films and worked as a dancer for many decades, she is primarily known for playing "Vicky."

Date: Friday, 11-10-07, 17:27 GMT | Message # 7

Friends

Quote (michelangelo)
Thanks for the additions Joe73! I realised i forgot Andrea Parker after i made the list but thought i would add her later because '10 Ballerina...' sounds better than '11 Ballerina...' But i completely forgot Amy Acker; Fred & Wesley's scene in Summer Glau's episode of Angel was very funny.

Thanks smile

It was way over my bedtime, but I just had to compleet the list, and It took me forever to find a picture of Amy like af Ballerina.

Thats a window bird.

Date: Friday, 11-10-07, 21:26 GMT | Message # 8

Writer

I recall Jenna Elfman, of Dharma and Greg, saying in an interview that she started off in ballet before switching to acting.

Take Back the Future! Save Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles

Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles REUNION

Date: Wednesday, 11-10-12, 19:08 GMT | Message # 9

Site Admin

Quote (The1Russter)
I recall Jenna Elfman, of Dharma and Greg, saying in an interview that she started off in ballet before switching to acting.

Jenna Elfman

Jenna Elfman enjoyed a carefree childhood in Southern, California, where she began classical ballet training at age five. In 1989, she entered Los Angeles County High School for the Arts as a dance major. Shortly after her enrollment, she abandoned a professional ballet career when a recurring ankle injury limited her range of motion.
She started her career as a dancer for various rock bands. She is best known for her role as Dharma on the ABC sitcom Dharma & Greg (1997–2002).

Date: Thursday, 11-10-13, 10:50 GMT | Message # 10

Site Admin

Juliet Landau

Juliet Landau ain't a nobody folks, she's Martin Landau and Barbara Bain's daughter (Mission: Impossible, Cosmos 1999).
Click on image for bigger size
Martin Landau and Barbara Bain in Mission : Impossible Cosmos 1999

Credit : Martin Landau

She was a professional ballerina. She studied both acting and classical ballet at the American School in London. Her mentor was the late actress, Susan Peretz.
She is best known for her terrifying yet beguiling psychic vampire Drusilla on Buffy the Vampire Slayer and its spinoff show Angel.

Date: Friday, 11-10-14, 15:45 GMT | Message # 11

Friends

Jennifer Garner

Jennifer Garner

Known from Alias and Elektra

http://gallery.jen-garner.net/albums....r_3.jpg

She spent nine years of her adolescence studying ballet and describes her years in dance as ones characterized by determination rather than talent, being driven mostly by a love of the stage.

Thats a window bird.

Date: Friday, 11-10-14, 22:17 GMT | Message # 12

Site Admin

Thanks for the input Joe73! I'm always glad to learn a few things and i hope our readers are too.
I have the name of at least 5 other actresses that should be added to the list in the following days.

Date: Wednesday, 11-10-19, 11:34 GMT | Message # 13

Site Admin

Deborah Kerr

Click on images for bigger size
10 Ballerina Turned Actresses Deborah Kerr

Scottish born Deborah Kerr originally trained as a ballet dancer, first appearing on stage at Sadler's Wells Theater (London) in 1938. After changing careers, she soon found success as an actress.
In Hollywood, her British accent and manners led to a succession of roles portraying a refined, reserved, and proper English lady. Nevertheless, Kerr frequently used any opportunity to discard her cool exterior. She starred in the 1950 adventure film, King Solomon's Mines, shot on location in Africa with Stewart Granger. Kerr also departed from typecasting with a performance that brought out her sensuality, as Karen Holmes, the embittered military wife in From Here to Eternity (1953), for which she received an Oscar nomination for Best Actress. The American Film Institute acknowledged the iconic status of the scene from that film in which she and Burt Lancaster make love on a Hawaii beach amidst the crashing waves (see image below). The organisation ranked it twentieth in its list of the 100 most romantic films of all time.
In 1994, she was awarded the Academy Honorary Award, cited by the Academy as "an artist of impeccable grace and beauty, a dedicated actress whose motion picture career has always stood for perfection, discipline and elegance".
Bio source : Wikipedia

10 Ballerina Turned Actresses Deborah Kerr

Side note : i detailed Kerr's biography because some of the elements are echoing what attracted me to Summer Glau; it may sounds old-fashioned but that's how i see Summer Glau. However, Summer is a modern girl and wearing see-through tops or mini-skirts isn't a problem for her (for me neither), it's just that she knows the difference between sexy and vulgar. These sartorial reflexions can be transposed on a behaviour level with the same accuracy.

Date: Sunday, 11-10-23, 05:59 GMT | Message # 14

Friends

You've forgotten Diane Kruger, who was in National Treasure, Troy, and Inglorious Bastards. She even got into the Royal Ballet in London, but quit because of an injury.

Then there's Jessica Brown-Findlay, who recently was in a movie with Felicity Jones, but more prominently known for her role as Lady Sybil on the hit show Downton Abbey. Her story is really quite heartbreaking as she pretty much danced all her life and was accepted into many prestigious ballet schools and was even invited to dance with the KIROV ballet at the Royal Opera House at age 15. But then she had a couple of surgeries on her ankle that was supposed to go okay but were botched, and was told she could not dance again. sad

Date: Sunday, 11-10-23, 06:58 GMT | Message # 15

Site Admin

Thanks for the suggestions Mia and welcome to the Summer Glau Wiki!
I see that theses actresses had to quit dancing because of an injury, just like Summer Glau. More, i have the feeling you're a dancer yourself, am i correct?

Feel free to search through the many threads of the Summer Glau Wiki for further comments; i'm sure you could find some that will match your interest.

A feminine point of view on some discussions would be appreciated. Why don't you try with : michelangelo deciphers Firefly promo pictures

Forum » Filmography » Other movies/shows » 10 Ballerina Turned Actresses
Page 1 of 212»
Search:
SEARCH

LAYOUT
Bright theme
Dark theme
Mobile theme
PAGES MENU

Open folder Summer Glau Open folder Career Open folder Fanfiction
Upcoming TV/Movies

Jeff 1000 November 2014 Wired magazine website

Inside the Box
film festivals, VOD and DVD

Peter Panzerfaust Motion Comic
Upcoming Events

MegaCon 2015:
April 10th-12th, 2015
LOGIN

Old login form

OUR POLL

If Summer is casted in an upcoming Avengers movie which character should she play?

Total of answers: 694

STATISTICS

Go to top